Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the pendulum, AKA the wrecking ball

My dad built this pendulum for me over the summer using instructions by Bev Bos.  As you can see it is quite large so I had it in storage until I could find space for it. I dug this platform out of storage and placed it in our atrium (it was built by a former coworker and donated to the center when she left).


I showed the children how to build towers and use the 'wrecking balls' to knock them down. This is a nice outlet for children with a need to see things tumble! There is just something so inherently attractive about the creative and destructive processes. The foam blocks are light enough to be knocked over and can be built quickly for my friends with shorter attention spans.


For the older children who needed a greater challenge, I showed them how to make pyramids:


The end!

2 comments:

  1. Love this one! Looks like a project for my dad too!

    Thanks again for the inspiration! --Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid insight recognizing that kids need such an outlet & providing an appropriate way to express this need.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails