Friday, June 11, 2010

exploring the earth movers

Early in September our center received some great news: we were getting a parking lot! To my joy, the construction crew dropped off two pieces of heavy machinery.
The children donned their construction hats and with their pencils and clip boards we headed out. I didn't tell them anything about what they were seeing initially because I wanted to hear what their ideas were.

I don't have photos of the other machine, but here is what some of the children had to say about it:

E: I think the truck is lost.
S: What do the handles do?
D: Is that a car seat for babies in the front?
S.T.: Babies have to ride in the back.
A: The front is for the Daddy, the back is for the baby.


We drew pictures of the machine as a whole and we drew pictures of the various parts: the cab, the wheels/treads, the bucket and whatever other parts caught the childrens fancy.

Some of chidlren never lost interest in the parking lot and continued to build replicas long into the school year!
Construction of the parking lot with a 'parking lot- save' sign















Drawing the bucket and noticing its 'teeth'



Drawing of the loader


1 comment:

  1. What lucky children! Thanks for finding my blog. I'm glad I found yours. I can't wait to read more about your adventures on the prairie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails