Thursday, June 10, 2010

reclaimed mesh weaving project

After my return from one of Bev Boss's workshops, I felt inspired to use recycled materials for future projects.

I found some plastic mesh material in the teacher's resource room. It practically begged for me to use it for a weaving/knot tying project. I brought it and spools of ribbon to the outdoor picnic table. I cut ribbon of varying lengths and colors and set them out. Curious children came over to see what was going on. Some stayed for a minute, others longer and wove the ribbon through the holes.

Those who wanted to tie knots did so as well. By the end of the day we had run out of ribbon and what looked like an underwater sea creature. When I lifted it up, the 'tentacles' blew in the wind delighting the children around me, who asked me what it was. I told them it was whatever we wanted it to be!

As soon as I can get back into my classroom this fall, and figure out where to hang our art, I will post a photo of the completed version.

3 comments:

  1. I love this blog! I love the name! I love what you wrote and I love seeing the little hands creating. And look at all the children learned: fine motor development, color recognition, sensory and texture, measurement, science--air flow, direction, wind, language development, recycling, social skills, and probably much more. I cannot find one area of cognitive development that was not enhanced by this activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin still collecting the plastic water bottles how many do you need

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails