Thursday, November 4, 2010

baking soda and vinegar experiment

Ah, science experiments. What's not to love? 

I set this experiment up in three stations on the long table. At one end I added baking soda to a tray and set out cups of vinegar with pipettes so the children could work as a group. 


At the other end I set up individual cups of vinegar and baking soda.


I also set up bottles of vinegar as well. 


After the children began using the pipettes I added watercolor to the vinegar so they could see the reaction better. The colors were lovely, but in retrospect I would have used only one color so they could focus on the reaction.





Some of their thoughts:

A: It's like pop cuz it gots bubbles.
K: It reminds me of the color of paper
E: It's bubbling up.
M: It's burning.
K: It doesn't work any more.
S: Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble!

2 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love vinegar and baking soda!!! If you opt to use color again, perhaps try this.... http://childcentralstation.blogspot.com/2010/06/vinegar-and-baking-soda-more-than-just.html and I was inspired by another blogger to add zippered baggies to this exploration - great outcomes! http://childcentralstation.blogspot.com/2010/09/our-homeschool-week.html I love to find new ways to use vinegar and baking soda- we buy both in bulk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion re color mixing! My classes this year are obsessed with making colors, so I will add this to our repertoire!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails